Remember that a piercing is an open wound. Touching it with dirty hands or not caring for it properly will result in an infection. Follow the below tips to ensure a quick and infection-free healing period:
- Avoid sleeping on your belly while the piercing heals.
- Avoid going in public swimming areas while your piercing is healing.
- Wash your hand thoroughly before touching your belly button piercing.
- Follow your piercer's instructions - don't slack!
- Change your bedding often during the healing process.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|