Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Belly Rings and other Body Jewelry topics.
You endured several minutes of pain to make your fashion statement with a new navel ring. What do you do next? How do you care for this tender area? When can you change the belly button ring?
People who get body piercings should educate themselves on proper aftercare.
Here are some tips for aftercare of a newly pierced navel:
· Always wash your hands before touching the pierced area. Do not touch it except to clean it.
· Take showers rather than bathing. Showering will breed fewer bacteria than a bath.
· Wear clean, breathable clothing that protects your piercing during sleep. Make sure your bedding is clean and change it regularly.
· Protect the navel with a hard, vented eye patch (sold at pharmacies) that is secured by using a length of ace bandage around the body (to avoid irritation from adhesive). This patch is used protect the pierced area from restrictive clothing, excess irritation, and impact during physical activities such as contact sports.
· Leave jewelry in at all times. Even a well healed piercing can close easily. Carry a clean replacement in case of accidental loss.
If you follow these aftercare guidelines you will have a better chance of combating possible infection.