Belly Piercing & Healing
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Belly Rings and other Body Jewelry topics.
How do I know when my belly piercing has healed?
Once you get your belly button pierced, you can expect a total healing time of anywhere between four weeks and a year, depending on your body's healing abilities and how well you take care of your piercing.
Remember that a piercing, while pretty, is still a wound that needs proper care:
- Do not touch your belly ring if at all possible. If you need to, wash your hands thoroughly with antimicrobial soap. Rinse well.
- Try not to sleep on your stomach while your piercing heals.
- Avoid swimming in public pools or in natural bodies of water. Irritants from chemicals and/or bacteria can irritate your piercing.
- Wear loose-fitting pants and shirts so your clothing won't rub against the belly ring.
- If any pus or "angry" redness appears after a week or so, go to your piercing technician for assistance and advice. Do not touch the piercing yourself.